Grants to Organizations Program
ArtsWA grants provide resources for organizations to create arts experiences with and for their communities. Our grants focus on cultural equity and expanding the creative economy, and support arts participation by ensuring that all people have culturally relevant access to the arts. State and federal funds support our grants.
- Grants to Organizations fund projects, programs, and services spanning artistic disciplines, cultures, and traditions. Programs reach audiences and arts professionals across the state. For additional information, please visit our website.
- Arts In Education grants invest in community-based partnerships in early learning and K-12 learning communities. These grants strengthen arts education as part of PreK-12 basic education. To apply for an Arts in Education grant, view their current opportunities here.
ArtsWA is the Washington State Arts Commission. The Washington State Legislature and the National Endowment for the Arts fund our programs. ArtsWA's grant programs are contingent on available state and federal funding. ArtsWA complies with all local, state and federal laws and regulations concerning civil and human rights. For more information regarding Washington State Arts Commission’s policies on Accessibility, Diversity, and Nondiscrimination, click here.
COVID Safety Support for Large Organizations offers one-time grants to large arts, culture, heritage, or science* non-profit organizations in Washington State that have costs associated with COVID-19 testing and safety monitoring required by state and local governments and/or by union contracts. All eligible applicants will have reported annual gross receipts of greater than $5,000,000 in calendar year 2019.
This grant supports previously unfunded costs and current reimbursable costs for COVID-19 mitigation (for example: filtration systems, testing costs, PPE, staff to check vaccine cards, COVID-19 compliance officers, etc.).**
- “Previously unfunded costs” eligible to be covered by this grant will have been requested on previous grant applications but were declined OR only partially funded. Previous grant applications may have been submitted from March 30, 2020 to the present.
- “Current reimbursable costs” are those related to COVID-19 mitigation (including staffing) for the period between your last grant application up until the date of your submission of this grant application.
*For the purposes of this grant “science” non-profit organizations may not be science companies, including research and/or development laboratories or services, and science manufacturing.
**Parameters of this grant program are based directly on the State of Washington’s Authorizing language: 5693-S.SL.pdf – (Pg 110 line 12)
Funds for this program provided by Washington State Legislature, the Washington Department of Commerce, and the US Dept. of Treasury. Points of view in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the US Dept. of Treasury.
- Application Open: November 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: December 8, 2022, 5pm
- January 9 – January 13, 2023: Notifications sent
- January 23 – February 7, 2023: Funds dispersal
Eligible to Apply:
- Active arts, culture, heritage, or science* non-profit 501c3 organizations physically located and operating in Washington State
- Have reported annual gross receipts of greater than $5,000,000 in calendar year 2019
- Generate at least 51% of revenue in Washington State
- Have had costs associated with COVID-19 mitigation as required by state and local governments and/or by union contracts
- Have outstanding costs for COVID-19 mitigation: from previous grant applications that were not funded or not fully funded --AND/OR-- for the period between your last grant application up until the date of your submission of this grant application
Ineligible to Apply:
- Non-profit organizations that restrict patronage for any reason other than capacity or age restrictions, per state and federal non-discrimination regulations
- Non-profit organizations debarred by the federal government
- For the purposes of this grant “science” non-profit organizations may not be science companies, including research and/or development laboratories or services, and science manufacturing
Required Documents and Information:
IMPORTANT: As of April 2022, recipients of grants using federal funds are required to have an UEI number. The UEI replaces the DUNS Number. If you don’t have one yet, you should apply now. You may apply for grants without one but cannot receive funds until you have a UEI. Click here to apply now (https://sam.gov/content/duns-uei).
- WA State Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number
- Tribal member-owned businesses without a UBI may provide alternative business validation
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- UEI (Unique Entity Identifier) number
- Most recent completed IRS tax form 990
Eligible Uses for Grant Funds:
Successful applicants must use the funds for costs incurred from March 1, 2020, to the present, as required by state law. Funds must be spent by date of application submission. The funds can be used for any COVID-19 testing and safety monitoring costs that have not been previously funded through other grant funds.
If responses for the cost(s) are “true” for ALL four statements below, then the applicant can feel confident that the cost is eligible:
- The cost is associated with COVID-19 testing and safety monitoring.
- The cost was/is necessary to continue the non-profit organization’s operations.
- The cost was/is NOT for government related fees (for example: taxes; licenses; state, county, federal, and/or city fees).
- The non-profit organization will self-certify that the cost was/is not funded by any other funder, whether private, state, or federal.
Grant Funds May NOT Be Used For:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Salary increases, bonuses, and dividends to owner(s) or investor(s)
- Costs already reimbursed previously by federal programs (for example: SBA Paycheck Protection Program) or costs previously reimbursed by any grant or loan program
- Personal expenses
Grant applications can be completed and submitted online at any time between the morning of November 8, 2022, and December 8, 2022, at 5:00 PM PST.
ArtsWA will accept applications online through Submittable. If you do not have a Submittable account, you will be prompted to register prior to accessing the online application. Submittable recommends using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari as web browsers.
Please take your time when completing the application. Your work will be automatically saved as you move through the questions as long as you are connected to the internet. The application does not need to be completed in one sitting.
After the closing date of December 8, 2022, applications will be reviewed, and final determinations will be made. If you are selected for a grant, notice of the grant amount and next steps will be emailed to you from ArtsWA in the first half of January 2023.
Make sure that the contact email you provide is appropriate for receiving emails from ArtsWA.
Linnea Ingalls, ArtsWA Grants to Organizations Program Coordinator, email@example.com
Miguel Guillen, ArtsWA Grants to Organizations Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is the Final Report for:
FY22-23 ReStart Washington Grant,
FY23 ReVive Washington Grant,
FY23 ReNew Washington Grant,
& FY23 Art Service Organization Support Grant
If you have received any of the above grants, you are in the right place! If you received an Arts in Education grant, you can find your final report here when it is ready to complete.
Please note: Completing the Final Report is not a part of the receiving your funds, but rather the last step of fulfilling your ArtsWA contract. If you haven't received your funds yet, please email email@example.com.
About the Final Report: Every ArtsWA grant recipient must submit a Final Report by the end of the contract period. Depending on your grant, the Final Report gathers information required by the National Endowment for the Arts or the Washington State Office of Financial Management. Additional qualitative and quantitative data collected by ArtsWA through this report is used to support sustained programming and future funding.
Submittable Instructions & Tips:
- ArtsWA is NEW to Submittable, so you won't see information about your grant on this platform. If need resources such as your invoice documentation, your contract, or your application, please contact Linnea Ingalls at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Logging in/Setting up an account: If your organization already has a Submittable account, use your organization's log in credentials. If you aren't sure if you have an account, you can contact Submittable at email@example.com. If you are setting up an account, make sure you choose an email associated with your organization (not your personal email, if applicable.)
- Saving: Save your Final Report as you work on it by clicking the "Save Draft" button located at the end of the below form. You can log out and log back in, take a break, or work on your Final Report over several days without losing your data.
- Collaboration: If multiple people from your organization will be contributing to your Final Report, invite them to collaborate by clicking on the "Invite Collaborators" button located at the top right of this form. A Dialog box will appear, asking you to enter the email addresses of your collaborators. Enter those addresses, then click "Invite".
- Submitting: Once you have completed your Final Report, click the "Submit" button at the end of this form. You will receive an automated email confirming that your Final Report has been successfully submitted.
- Print or download a copy of your Final Report by navigating to your "Personal Submissions" account list. Click on your Final Report submission. This will open up the submission's details page, where you can click the Download button in the upper right of the viewing box. We do not need your printed or downloaded report, this is for your records only.
- If you have any other questions about Submittable, please read ArtsWA's Submittable FAQ resource.